LL2MP4 is a frontend application that converts audio files of type FLAC, APE, MP3 and WAV to AAC audio files and then wraps them in MP4.
The application uses free available decoders (see below).
AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) "...is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally
achieves better sound quality than MP3 at similar bit rates.
AAC is also the default or standard audio format for iPhone, iPod, iPad, Nintendo DSi, iTunes, DivX Plus Web Player and PlayStation 3..." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding)
Generally this AAC format has the alternative extension M4A. Among others MP4/M4A is a container format, used here to package several AAC files.
The free Nero AAC encoding and tagging tools (see below) are used to both convert the WAV files to AAC files as well as wrap them in the MP4 container.
- 1. Transfers ID3 tags
If ID3v1 or ID3v2 tags are present in a FLAC, APE or MP3 file, these are transferred to the MP4 file.
- 2. Drag-and-drop interface
Drop any combination of files of the four supported types on the application. Press CONVERT to start the conversion.
You can also drop a folder files on the application. Only files in the top directory are processed.
You may drop multiple times. Then, depending on the conversion mode (4.) and save mode (5.) you first have to select a filename
and a directory to which the MP4 will be saved.
- 3. Uses free codecs
Six free codecs are used, and one auxiliary program (Sleep.exe: the application is present in the zip, together with LL2MP4).
The actual conversions are performed by existing programs (codecs) which are available free of cost.
- 4. There are two conversion modes:
- All the input files are converted together to one MP4 file. MP4 is a wrapper format that can contain multiple 'tracks'.
- All the input files are converted to separate MP4 files; these contain therefore just one 'track'.
- 5. You can select a directory of your choice to save the results to.
If you have selected the option to combine all the AAC files into one MP4 file, you can also choose a filename.
- 6. There are three ways to set the encoding options, selected by the bitrate control radiobuttons:
- a constant bitrate, selected from a set of fixed values.
- a target bitrate, that should have a value between 33 and 381.
- a target quality number, having a value between 0 and 99.
This application makes the conversion to MP4 easy. Just drop the files or directories on the application, select a encoding bitrate.
Also, decide whether or not the audio files should be wrapped together into one MP4 file,
and whether or not the MP4 files should be saved to the source directory.
Then start the conversion.
The free existing codecs are:
- LL2MP4 may be made 'Always on Top'.
- The 'Verify Only' mode skips the encoding steps.
- 'Exit when Done' closes the program after successful completion or immediately after pressing Abort.
- With 'Auto Check for Updates' informs you every first time you start the program on a day whether there is an update available.
- Showing hints can be switched on or off.
- If there is no Title tag in a source file, the corresponding Chapter in the resulting MP4 file reads something like "Chapter 1".
If you check the 'To replace a Title Tag ...' box, this text is replaced by the filename.
- At any time during the process of decoding or encoding the program can be halted by pressing Abort.
- The Cue List shows the files dropped on the application. Files not supported are not shown and not processed.
- The Error List shows some of the errors encountered during decoding of the source files.
- The Tag List shows the tags present in the source file currently converted.
- The color of the progress bar shows what type of source file is being decoded: brown for APE, red for FLAC, green for MP3. The progress of the encoding steps are shown in blue.
LL2MP4 checks at startup which codecs are missing.
Step-by-step instructions on how to obtain the required codecs and how to make them available in LL2MP4 are found in the LL2MP4 Quick start guide.
For more detailed information, a comprehensive LL2MP4 Help is available in PDF format.
Back to software index